Question

IMEI shows blank name at Asurian so claim has been denied 7 times

• 12 May 2021
  • 1 reply

Just to get this out of the way. EVERY single staff member at Cricket and Asurion has been very nice, professional. Unfortunately, they all think they have solved the issue by the time we conclude our conversation. Which is not the case in my situation.
CLAIM:  My device is not eligible for a screen repair, so it has to be replaced for a $40 deductible even with $8 a month for the protection. So I need to replace my now nearly dysfunctional LG Fortune 3 because the screen is shattered due to a naked phone (I was in the process of putting on a complete device protector) accidental hit caused it to sail across the room, bounce end over end over end on a ceramic tiled floor.

Filed many claims since May 6th: I’ve applied online, over the phone and in person for a claim. 
I have been using the LG Fortune 3 Android 10 (I’ll refer to it as F3A10) since July 22, 2020 when my roommate upgraded me (I’m a second line on his account) through Cricket from an LG Fortune Android 6.1 (I’ll refer to it as F1A6.1). He paid $87 dollars for this transaction.
Denials:1st 2nd and 3rd denials were due to “no such device listed on my account”, or IMEI doesn’t match phone type, or somehow me changing the name of my LG LM-K300 Fortune 3 caused them to not be able to recognize my device (really? I don’t think so). Asurion sent me back to Cricket to have Cricket enter my device correctly. Cricket rep said that’s nonsense, “It is listed correctly”. Each time I am denied, the claim get voided and I have to start over. Three filings ago, I spoke to an Asurion Rep who claimed he sees the error and is sending me out my replacement. Due to timing of actual claim being processed and their weekend delivery void, “next day” turned into five days. Finally device arrived, opened package immediately.,. wrong device… they sent me an F1A6.1, not an F3A10. I called Asurion and was requested to send the F1A6.1 back in the enclosed return envelope and refund the $10 my roommate paid as instructed by Asurion rep (I even remarked to that rep that $10 was more reasonable than the $40 I was told online). My roommate was so irate at my treatment he insisted we go into a Cricket store. We arrived 55 minutes before they closed. The mgr called Asurion and was still on the phone when the store was scheduled to close. The Asurion rep he spoke to told him he’d have to call Cricket. By now, their customer support was closed so he instructed us to” come back tomorrow”. Mind you each time I contact Cricket or Asurion, they have to speak to my roommate for his approval for them to talk to me…. So I went in the next day. That resulted in Asurion telling us #1 they had already received the wrong phone back, impossible since it was in my hands, so we gave the Asurion rep the tracking codes on the return envelope, #2 to download, sign and then upload an affidavit of damage, plus my roommate’s photo ID. SO we did that. This was the next to last claim filed. I received confirmation that my documents were received and now under review and I would be contacted within three hours. 
Instead of a notice of approval and shipping info, I received yet ANOTHER email from Asurion asking me to call them for they have questions about my claim. That claim was denied also…, The final Asurion rep was Wanda. She started another claim for me since that last very involved app for a claim was also denied. The claim she helped me file was ALSO denied. Wanda saw all the claim activity and once again took my IMEI number and that’s when she realized what is likely going on. When she pulled up the number, the name of the device is BLANK. She said only Cricket can fix that. I asked Wanda if she can get a supervisor  to review this mess and possibly manually approve my claim. She agreed and placed me on a brief hold. The answer was clear neither understood what I was asking and Wanda told me they can not override denials. Wanda told me again, Cricket needs to fix the name in their system (which I had already talked to a Cricket rep who had stated that “was nonsense”. 
My own checking of my IMEI showed my phone is a Phoenix 5! The model number LM-K300AM comes back as being used by several other wireless carriers in *refurbished form, all with different names! smh *My roommate and I thought he was buying a brand new F3A10. 
By the time Wanda transferred me to “Cricket customer Care”, they were closed. Going through the auto system at Cricket by pressing this or that number, got me transferred right back to Asurion’s claim service line.
This brings me to today. I am about to call Cricket Customer Care to once again ask them to update the IMEI device name and I’m assuming this will land me right back to here. This is nuts. My roommate has been with Cricket for over eight years. Cricket has today to get this right or he is going to go to another carrier. I’ve kept him from doing that thus far. 
ANYBODY from Cricket, Asurion, techs, have any idea what can be done?
Thank you in advance for any useful information. And thank you for your time.

1 reply

Just to get this out of the way. EVERY single staff member at Cricket and Asurion has been very nice, professional. Unfortunately, they all think they have solved the issue by the time we conclude our conversation. Which is not the case in my situation.
CLAIM:  My device is not eligible for a screen repair, so it has to be replaced for a $40 deductible even with $8 a month for the protection. So I need to replace my now nearly dysfunctional LG Fortune 3 because the screen is shattered due to a naked phone (I was in the process of putting on a complete device protector) accidental hit caused it to sail across the room, bounce end over end over end on a ceramic tiled floor.

This brings me to today. I am about to call Cricket Customer Care to once again ask them to update the IMEI device name and I’m assuming this will land me right back to here. This is nuts. My roommate has been with Cricket for over eight years. Cricket has today to get this right or he is going to go to another carrier. I’ve kept him from doing that thus far. 
ANYBODY from Cricket, Asurion, techs, have any idea what can be done?
Thank you in advance for any useful information. And thank you for your time.

--------------------------------------------------------------
May12, 2021
Resolved:

After eight phone calls, the last of which was three hours long, the adjusters at Asurion approved my replacement device claim. Primarily due to several Asurion staff members and a couple of Cricket staff members. Ayesha, the rep I spoke to at Asurion was NOT going to end our call until I was approved for my claim. THANK YOU SO MUCH AYESHA! Then there is Joshua, the rep at Cricket who managed to call me twice to follow up if the claim went through. When he called back the second time, I was on the phone with Ayesha, who was in the process of trying to figure out how to get this resolved. So I merged the calls. Initially Joshua had me unlock my phone but Ayesha said she still wasn’t seeing my device name and model… When Joshua was unable to carry out a suggestion from Ayesha, he got a supervisor, David, on the line with us. THANK YOU JOSHUA for following through with call backs and THANK YOU DAVID for all your time! When what David at Cricket changed and failed to completely fix the problem, Ayesha could see that David did make changes to my device info. So, Ayesha contacted a person (I did not get a name-but THANK YOU TOO!) who was able to get my claim approved… Ayesha made sure the final steps were approved and glad she did because somehow a hold got put on shipping. She came back from discussing my claim with someone and it was the same person Ayesha had talked to earlier so they were already familiar with my claim. We still had to pay the $40 deductible but my replacement LG FORTUNE 3 is on it’s way. <SIGH> I do have the patience of Job, I am often told. Hope this helps someone else!