Lost Carrier Access after upgrading OnePlus 8T to OxygenOS 12?

Userlevel 1
Badge +2

My wife’s OnePlus 8T was upgraded recently to OxygenOS 12 and she lost carrier access. We tried everything we could find after Googling the issue, but nothing worked.

I looked up the Access point Name settings and we noticed that it was set for ATT Nxtgenphone, even though Cricket was an option. Setting to Cricket didn’t help, until I noticed that the APN read “ndo”, not “Endo”. I fixed that spelling error. All the other settings for the Access point were correct.

Within a few minutes, her cellular service started working again.

Just throwing this out in case it helps someone else.

12 replies

Badge

Thanks, I also have a OnePlus 8T that upgraded to OxygenOS 12 and had this same exact issue, however this did not work for me since the APN was already “ndo”.  Can you confirm the other settings?

I contacted Oneplus support and they told me to factory reset, but that didn’t work, beware.

This solution worked for me, I changed the following in the cricket Access point, when it was updated to Oxygen OS12:

Before

APN protocol: IPv4

After

APN protocol: IPv4/IPv6

Seems like the default APN protocol was set to IPv4 after the update, but the network didn’t work, so I updated it to IPv4/IPv6. After changing that, I restarted my phone, and the network came back. Hope this is another alternative to those who encounter this issue.

Badge

Thanks, I also have a OnePlus 8T that upgraded to OxygenOS 12 and had this same exact issue, however this did not work for me since the APN was already “ndo”.  Can you confirm the other settings?

I contacted Oneplus support and they told me to factory reset, but that didn’t work, beware.

This solution worked for me, I changed the following in the cricket Access point, when it was updated to Oxygen OS12:

Before

APN protocol: IPv4

After

APN protocol: IPv4/IPv6

Seems like the default APN protocol was set to IPv4 after the update, but the network didn’t work, so I updated it to IPv4/IPv6. After changing that, I restarted my phone, and the network came back. Hope this is another alternative to those who encounter this issue.

After testing this again, turns out I just needed to switch the access point name to cricket… how annoying.  Verifying the settings would be good too, if there was a guide on what the correct settings are.

Settings → Mobile Network → Select SIM1 or SIM2 with cricket → Access point names → Select cricket rather than ATT Nxtgenphone. Restart phone.

Userlevel 1
Badge +2

We had to add the leading “E” to the ndo to make it read; Endo. That was how it was written in the Cricket Wireless support document that showed the APN settings if you were doing it manually. Once we set it to Cricket, instead of the AT&T entry, and fixed the Endo misspelling, her cellular service returned after a few minutes.

Userlevel 1
Badge

Thank you for this info!! Same thing happened to me, I have a OnePlus 8 pro that was updated to Android 12 and wouldn't connect back to the cricket network. I had the same exact issue as you, my cricket sim APN settings was set to ATT Nxtgenphone automatically after the os update... I  had to select Cricket and fix the spelling error from "ndo" to "Endo". Restarted the phone and everything was working like normal again thankfully. I'm fairly tech savvy so I was able to fix this after just a quick Google search but if they don't fix this issue I can't imagine the number of people that are going to be incredibly frustrated and confused why their phone is no longer working (not to mention looks very different and a bunch of settings were reset after the android 12 update)... Going to be a total mess!

Userlevel 1
Badge +2

I am so glad that worked out for you too. I think Cricket needs to address this. Or, more appropriately, they need to work with OnePlus on this so everyone is aware.

Userlevel 1
Badge

I am so glad that worked out for you too. I think Cricket needs to address this. Or, more appropriately, they need to work with OnePlus on this so everyone is aware.

100% agree, but I highly doubt they will because they won't want to support a factory unlocked, non-cricket supplied phone. Whether it's cricket's policy or handed down from ATT, they are doing everything they can to force people into buying cricket devices so it's unfortunately in their best interest to not help resolve issues related to factory unlocked phones... 

Userlevel 1
Badge +2

Good point. I just hope folks find this post when they have this issue. I also posted it on the OnePlus sub on Reddit. My wife is going to post it on the OnePlus community forum as well. We’ll let Google’s SEO  handle it from there… :-)

Userlevel 1
Badge

Good point. I just hope folks find this post when they have this issue. I also posted it on the OnePlus sub on Reddit. My wife is going to post it on the OnePlus community forum as well. We’ll let Google’s SEO  handle it from there… :-)

Kudos to you, thank you from the OP community for your help with this issue! 

Userlevel 1
Badge +2

My pleasure!

Badge

Thanks so much. I had a date last night. She said “I sent you five texts. . .”. I said “I never check my texts” thinking it was my fault. :-) The next day I checked my texts and noticed I hadn’t gotten them. . .because I didn’t have cellphone coverage. Thought it was just my location but later realized I hadn’t had service for two days (a testimony to how little I text/call with my phone and how prevalent WiFi is for everything else). 

Signed up for an account just to say “thanks”. Zero chance I would have uncovered that the name of the access point was wrong, much less what the right one was. 

Userlevel 1
Badge

Thanks so much. I had a date last night. She said “I sent you five texts. . .”. I said “I never check my texts” thinking it was my fault. :-) The next day I checked my texts and noticed I hadn’t gotten them. . .because I didn’t have cellphone coverage. Thought it was just my location but later realized I hadn’t had service for two days (a testimony to how little I text/call with my phone and how prevalent WiFi is for everything else). 

Signed up for an account just to say “thanks”. Zero chance I would have uncovered that the name of the access point was wrong, much less what the right one was. 

Im not OP but I'm glad to hear you were able to resolve the issue as well!

It's pretty amusing that you didn't notice you had no phone service or 3G/4G/5G access for 2 whole days haha! Not making fun of you bro I promise, I'm just picturing the specific moment when you realized your phone hadn't been working for 2 days lmao 

Userlevel 1
Badge +2

I'm glad I could help. I'm just amazed that neither Cricket, nor OnePlus have officially addressed this. I put this fix out on Reddit as well and several people there have benefited from it.