Question

What's the truth on BYOD and the Mobile Hotspot?

• 20 August 2021
  • 2 replies

Badge +1

Long story short.  Had a rush need to upgrade to mobile hotspot for work.  Have a Moto G 6, checked Cricket’s compatibility guide and saw I’d need something newer.  Alright, I can stay Motorola as the G Power is on list and on the shelf at Target, yoink and boom.  No hotspot.

Various song and dances with Cricket support end with essentially “Get bent as you didn’t buy it from us.”  Fine, whatever.  Most I can chase down the rabbit is something about Cricket (well, their AT&T overlords) built out the mobile hotspot feature using dual APNs and they’ll be fookered if they can be bothered push out the proper firmware.

So here’s the issue.  If I’m on the hook, I may as well go big.  Several Samsungs, to be frank, Cricket doesn’t sell.  Hell, even the S20 FE in some other color than the blue is off the table, apparently, if I go through them.  What actual models are compatible?  Don’t point me at that list on names with an asterisk that it may/may not work;  it screwed me over once already.  I want the actual model numbers.

Xfinity’s in the back of my mind at this point; plan’s aren’t too dissimilar if I’m saying screw it and buying it outright.  I’d rather not change from a company I’ve been with so long I was grand-fathered on my old plan, which is gone now, thanks to this nonsense.  So yeah, make me happy.

2 replies

Userlevel 4
Badge +2

Hello @SomeDudeOnHere! Welcome to our Cricket Community and thank you for your post. To determine whether a device is compatible wit our network, you will need to enter the device IMEI in the link below:

https://www.cricketwireless.com/cell-phones/bring-your-phone

Badge +1

Hello @SomeDudeOnHere! Welcome to our Cricket Community and thank you for your post. To determine whether a device is compatible wit our network, you will need to enter the device IMEI in the link below:

https://www.cricketwireless.com/cell-phones/bring-your-phone

Funny thing:  I’ve already done just that out of curiosity.  The Target-bought G Power shows compatible according to that link.  No asterisk, no conditions, no warnings.  Melvin, the rep I spoke with, ran its IMEI while on the phone and came back with nope, it was NOT compatible with the mobile hotspot feature.  Reality has borne this out.  Trying to turn on the feature results in the friendly “get bent” message.

So again, model numbers for mobile hotspot compatible phones.  Specific manufacturer model numbers.  If you can’t provide those, just be honest.

PS:  Also, I hate being that guy, but I do this all day in my job.  If you’re gonna copy/paste from a script, have that shit tight.